Sunday, May 25, 2008

Eggs...


Yesterday, we were out at the in-laws for some roofing and burgers and S'mores, pretty much in that order. My sister-in-law decided to take a walk around their path in the back 40 - it's a nice little path and kind of meanders around the back area that just kind of grows wild. While she was walking, she got dive-bombed by a robin. This robin was protecting a nest that was in a branch of a tree back there, and the nest was only about four feet off the ground. So Sherrie came back and told me about it, and we took my camera out there.

We figured, correctly, as you can see, that the robin would be protecting something - probably eggs. So, Sherrie and Cheryl (my stepmother-in-law) and I moseyed on back, and waited to get dive-bombed. The robin, probably guessing that she couldn't take three of us, retreated to the next tree over, leaving us to hunt for the eggs.


After pulling the branch that the nest was on down a bit so I could get in with my camera, I carefully extended my arm, with the camera still attached to it, over the nest and started shooting. The whole time, the mama robin was chirping at us, scolding us to leave her babies alone. I took several shots, not knowing which ones were going to be decent and which ones wouldn't. The top one is my favorite, the bottom two are a couple of the others that I took. Hopefully we didn't traumatize mama robin too much, but I almost feel like it was worth it to have the chance to see something like this.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

Oh my how beautiful. We have a robin family in the bushes of our yard. Saw daddy robin with a mouth full of fixin's for the nest during the week. How lucky to see and get pictures of the nest Jen!