Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Songs that bother me...

Anyone who knows me even moderately well knows that I'm not only a grammar freak, I have this extremely technical streak. I can't help pointing out the technicalities when someone mentions something that's not quite right. I really can't. It's a sickness. So I'm sure you can imagine that there are things out there that really, really bother me. Some of these things are songs. There are four songs that bother me for different reasons. First of all, and probably the most bothersome is "It's Five o'clock Somewhere" by Alan Jackson and Jimmy Buffett. Don't get me wrong - I like the song, it's a catchy tune, but think about this... When they sing "Pour me something tall and strong, make it a hurricane before I go insane, it's only half past twelve, but I don't care. It's 5 o'clock somewhere" I cringe. I can't help it. Stick with me for a minute, here. Half past twelve is 12:30, right? Of course it is. So if it's 12:30 where they are, it can't possibly be 5:00 anywhere. It can be 4:30, it can be 5:30. There's no way it can be 5:00. Ever since the first time I heard this song, I can't stop thinking of it, which kind of takes something out of hearing it for me.

Song number two is "Blue Clear Sky", by George Strait. The word order just bugs the heck out of me. I really, really, want it to be the normal "clear blue sky", because I'm pretty sure that if something is clear, it can't also be blue (since "blue" in that order modifies "clear"). I could be wrong, but it doesn't make sense to me.

The last two songs that bother me do so because of the subject matter. First, "Escape (the Pina Colada Song)" by Rupert Holmes. Again, I like the song, it's catchy, and a great 80s song. But am I the only one who is really disturbed that not only is the main guy in the song planning to cheat on his partner, but she's also already looking around for a replacement on him? That's just wrong to me. Along the same line is the last song that bugs me. "Lips of an Angel" by Hinder (I think). Again, it really bothers me that the narrator (if you will) is not only cheating on his whatever she is - she's in the NEXT ROOM! I realize that cheating and its associated issues make very good song fodder - heck, that's what country music was founded on - but these two songs really disturb me for some reason. Anyway, that's enough ranting for today. Go forth and ponder. See if you ever hear "It's Five o'clock Somewhere" the same way again.

1 comment:

Jayne said...

Holy crap, me thinkey you are taking these songs wayyyyyy too seriously.....after all it's 5:00 somewhere. LOL You NEED a drinkey poo!