Sunday, September 07, 2008

What a weekend...


We, or at least I, have had quite the weekend. It started off as my weekends usually do, with work on Saturday morning. After I got out of work at 11, we took off for South Higgins Lake State Park for my family reunion. We've been holding it there the weekend after Labor Day for as long as I can remember - I think it's been going since even before I was born. I convinced my sister-in-law to bring the kids up, even though she's on Brian's side and not part of the family that was reunioning, we usually always have at least one friend join someone, and I wanted to be able to show the kids where I've been going for years and years. They had a blast - we ate lunch, then went down to the lake to swim - one of the best things about this park is that the lake is always clean and you can walk out for probably 1/4 mile before it's even up to an adult's knees, so it's great for kids. Anna and I walked out and she giggled all the way. After swimming, the kids played baseball with some of my cousins and some of the other kids whose families were camping there this weekend while the adults sat (or stood) around the fire.
In what seemed like no time at all, it was time to pack up and head home. It was great to be able to see all the cousins that we only see once a year, and I had the added bonus of sharing some of my memories with my nieces and nephews.
Today, my friend Heather had complementary tickets to the Michigan Renaissance Festival. If you live in Michigan and you've never had the opportunity to attend, I highly recommend it. There are all sorts of shops selling things like jewelry, art, leather goods, period costumes, woodcraft, and much more. While you're shopping, you can attend different shows. Probably the most popular and well-known show is the Ded Bob Show. I've seen it several times - so many, in fact, that I could probably do the show as well as the entertainer. It's always fun to catch it, though, and this year was even better, because Heather got picked on to be one of the audience volunteers.
One of the new things they had this year was an area where you could feed lorikeets. We went in and were immediately rewarded with birds on our hands and arms. After they finished the food in my cup, one of them decided that I might taste pretty good and started nibbling on my arm. It didn't hurt, but it was kind of funny.
I'll close with a few pictures I took at the Zucchini Brothers, Ric Roc, and the Rogue Blades shows. Have a great week!

2 comments:

Jeanne said...

oohhh great pictures. Love the beach and the festival looks like a lot of fun. Great shot of the fire breather!!

Rita said...

Sounds like a GREAT weekend! What fun!! The lake sounds wonderful and that festival looks fabulous! So glad you enjoyed your weekend!