Monday, November 03, 2008

Pet Peeves...

What are your pet peeves? I have many of them, but they can pretty much be condensed into one major theme - inconsiderate people. This morning I was reminded of a perfect example as I drove through Tim Horton's to get a hot chocolate. Someone had thrown their lit cigarette out the window as they waited in the drive-through line. Not only is that inconsiderate because of the whole littering factor, but also for all of us who followed whoever this person was through the line. I happen to be extremely sensitive to cigarette smoke, and waiting to get past the scene of the crime was torture, as the smoke was coming right into my car. Why, oh why, do people have to do things like that? If I'm walking somewhere and see a lit cigarette butt, I'll scuff it out so no one else has to deal with it, but that's rather hard to do in a drive-through line.

Another good example of inconsiderate behavior popped up today as well. My husband and I are landlords - we own a duplex and live in one side and rent the other half out. Our renters recently told us that they were going to have to move because the wife is pregnant, and they couldn't stay in a two bedroom house with three children. They gave us 30 days notice, and were supposed to have been moved out by Friday or Saturday morning. That was fine, because Brian had the entire weekend off, which would allow him to clean/touch up paint/anything else that needed to be done before the new renters moved in. Well, due to a problem with the electricity at their new place, they didn't move out until this morning, and of course Brian had to work today. He was able to get into the back bedroom (the walls of which the kids had written all over with crayon, meaning that he needed to paint the entire room) and paint and steam clean the carpet, but there was still a lot to do. When he got over there this morning, the floors were horribly dirty, and the refrigerator was disgusting! I ended up having to take time off this afternoon to help clean, as there was no way he was going to be able to do it all before he had to leave for work. I can't help comparing this situation to ours - when Brian bought the duplex we had been dating for about a year, and he was living in an apartment. When he moved, we spent an entire night cleaning the fridge, the walls, and anything else we could think of - the place was spotless. Evidently that's not normal for renters, as we have not had anyone leave the place very clean yet. This was by far the worst yet, though.

Anyway, that's my rant on pet peeves. Thanks for hanging in there with me. On a positive note, we had the best bazaar we've had so far this past Saturday. I'm hoping for more like that in the coming weeks! Don't forget to vote tomorrow, and have a great week!

3 comments:

Nancy said...

OOO Jen I'm right there with you.
I have many pet peeves.
Don't get me wrong I love my cell phone BUT end the conversation when you want me to ring you up and do not wave that hand at me like I'm interrupting you when I have to do my job at the register.

DawnW said...

I am totally with you on cigarettes....can't stand them...a person can smoke, but please respect the rest of the world while you are doing it.

Nancy, I am with you on cell phones....people apparently figure it is time to call people on the cell when they make it to the register...as if I have all the time in the world to wait for them to finish so I don't interrupt them!

You can add people who take up two spaces in the parking lots to my list of "peeves". I like parking right next to them just for fun!

Rita said...

My pet peeves...how much time do you have??? LOL

I find my list of peeves grows longer as I get older. But I would say inconsiderate people tops my list as well. People often have no respect for others and I cannot stand those who are selfish or don't give a thought to what someone else's needs might be.