Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Random miscellany...

So, if this works, this slideshow will show the long-promised pictures from the baby animal farm. If it doesn't, there will just be a big black box in the middle of my blog and I'll feel really dumb... Be forewarned... The last two pictures in the slideshow are from Cascade Falls Park in Jackson. Brian was able to come hang out with me in Jackson a couple of weeks ago, and we got to visit the falls. They are a man-made, concrete structure about 80 years old that are lit every evening from 8:30 - 11:00pm. There are steps all around them and you can walk up and around if you so desire. We went up, but came back down the same side, since the wind was blowing quite strongly and making the other side rather wet. I would definitely go back to the park - it was really interesting and very pretty.

And now for the next edition of things that are just plain wrong and/or disturbing. As I was driving home today, I decided to take the more rural route instead of the expressway that I normally take. Now I know why I take the expressway. The first thing I saw when I arrived at the first little town I passed through was a sign for a meat market or something like that advertising "Ground Squirrel". That, my friends, is not a market I would like to shop at. I have this mental picture of a meat counter with signs for ground chuck, ground round, ground turkey, and... ground squirrel?? What the heck!?!?! Anyway, after that incident, I continued on until I reached the next little town I had to pass through. In this town, they are apparently going to do some updating and will be conducting a "Sanitary Sewer Project". Excuse me??? What other kind of a sewer project would you have?? Luckily, I made it home without further incident, but the squirrel thing still weirds me out.

Sad, sad news alert... I've been battling a pain in my forearm for the last couple of weeks that was apparently set off during softball practice with some kind of weird throw, so I haven't been able to play in our games, although I did go in in a pinch the first game. However, when I throw the ball, it really hurts, which was my first clue that maybe I should go see the doctor. Well, I went yesterday, and she diagnosed me with tennis elbow. I have to wear a tennis elbow brace (which turns out to be a hard foam half-circle that goes on my forearm just under my elbow and straps snugly around my arm to keep the inflammation in one area) for the next 4 to 6 weeks while it heals. Oh, and no softball, either. HUH?!? I'm very disgusted with this - I played with a broken foot last year, but a mere muscle is laying me low this year? Humph! So, I'm on the disabled list for most, if not all, of the rest of the season. Sad, sad news indeed.

I'll leave you with a picture of Amanda on the rolly slide. She teaches with Mom and will be sharing the disabled list on our softball team with me this year, as she is recovering from back surgery. This picture was taken at the park we went to for lunch and playtime after the baby animals. Have an awesome week, and avoid the ground squirrel!


Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Jeanne said...

The slide show is so sweet. Love baby animals. The falls thing is beautiful too. I'm with you on squirrel meat. We feed them I'm not going to eat them! 'shudder'

Picture This said...

Cute photos of the animal farm. Too bad about your arm, hope it heals quickly. MMM, ground squirrel, it's good in hot dish....KIDDING!!!!! Yuck, that is just plain weird.

Rita said...

Awww...I love those baby animals!! They are so sweet!

I am officially not eating ever again...ground squirrel??? My stomach is turning -- blech!!!